Common Conditions That May Entitle You To Social Security Disability Benefits In Harrisburg
Injuries and illnesses can impact your general health while preventing you from working and providing for yourself and your family. Social Security disability benefits can help to make up for your lost income. Our Harrisburg Social Security disability lawyer explains common conditions that may make you eligible for benefits.
Conditions That Qualify For Social Security Benefits
According to the Social Security Administration (SSA), as many as one out of every four current 20-year-olds will suffer a long-term disability that prevents them from working prior to reaching retirement age. In this situation, Social Security disability benefits provide a lifeline, making up for the lost income you suffer as a result. Common types of conditions that may qualify you for disability benefits in Harrisburg include:
- Head and brain injuries: Motor vehicle accidents, slips or falls, or sports and recreational accidents can result in bumps, blows, or sudden jolts to the head, which may disrupt neural pathways in the brain. This can cause long-term physical, cognitive, and mental health impairments.
- Spinal cord injuries: Another common and serious type of accidental injury, injuries to the spinal cord or column can cause partial or complete paralysis, which may leave you either temporarily or permanently disabled.
- Soft tissue injuries: Injuries involving the muscles, tendons, or other soft tissues can occur in an accident, as a result of overuse, or due to underlying health conditions. These cause chronic pain and limited mobility that prevents you from working.
- Respiratory disorders: Asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), and other chronic lung issues can impact your breathing, preventing you from engaging in otherwise normal daily activities.
- Serious illnesses and chronic health conditions: Diseases such as cancer, lupus, fibromyalgia, and dementia, as well as heart disease, epilepsy, or other chronic conditions, can result in long-term disabilities that prevent you from working for a year or longer.
Eligibility For Social Security Disability Benefits In Harrisburg
When serious illnesses or injuries happen that prevent you from working, Social Security disability benefits can help make up for your lost income. In order to be eligible for these benefits, you must meet the following qualifications:
- Have a qualifying condition under the SSA’s Listing of Impairments;
- Have a firm diagnosis from your doctor and medical records documenting your condition;
- Be unable to work for at least a year or more;
- Earned the required amount of work credits;
- Earned half of these credits over the past 10 years;
- Submit a claim to the SSA and submit to a disability interview, a physical with an approved doctor, and other requirements.
Our Harrisburg Social Security Disability Lawyer Help You Get The Benefits You Are Entitled To
Unfortunately, even if you meet all qualifications for Social Security disability, your claim may still be denied. To get the total amount of benefits you are entitled to, get the law office of Ira H. Weinstock, P.C. on your side. Contact our Harrisburg Social Security disability lawyer and request a consultation today.