Filing A Car Accident Lawsuit In Harrisburg Versus Settling With Insurers
Car accidents in Harrisburg are a leading cause of serious, potentially life-threatening personal injuries. They often happen due to reckless and negligent behavior on the part of other drivers involved. Unfortunately, you only have one chance to get the compensation you need to recover. Once you accept a settlement, you waive the right to any future claims. Before making any kind of decision, find out the difference between settling with auto insurers versus filing a car accident lawsuit in Harrisburg.
The High Costs of Car Accidents In Harrisburg
According to statistics from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), close to 130,000 car accidents happen across the state each year. The average cost in even relatively minor cases is over $100,000. When car accidents in Harrisburg happen and result in severe or fatal injuries, the costs can easily total over $1 million. Common expenses you are likely to incur include:
- Property damages;
- Medical expenses;
- Future medical treatment for ongoing impairments;
- Physical therapy and vocational rehabilitation;
- Modifications to your home and vehicle to account for long-term disabilities;
- Lost wages;
- Future losses in earnings and benefits;
- Funeral expenses and other costs, in the event car accident injuries in Harrisburg end up proving fatal.
Your Rights In Seeking Compensation For Harrisburg Car Accident Injuries
When a crash or collision occurs due to reckless and negligent behavior on the part of others, you have the right to hold them liable for your costs in a car accident claim. There are generally two options available:
- File a claim with the insurers involved: The Pennsylvania Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) advises that all drivers are required to maintain a mandatory minimum amount of insurance coverage. You may be entitled to compensation through an insurance claim, either through your own policy or coverage the other driver has in place.
- File a car accident lawsuit: Car accidents involving uninsured drivers are common. Even if you both have coverage, the amount may not be enough to cover all of your expenses. As for-profit businesses, insurers are also known for either denying claims or downplaying the total amount you deserve. In these types of situations, filing a car accident lawsuit may be the best option.
Filing a car accident lawsuit in Harrisburg through the Dauphin County Civil Court can often entitle you to additional compensation not available through insurers. It is also the best course of action in more complex cases, such as hit-and-run accidents and those involving multiple at-fault parties.
Contact Our Harrisburg Car Accident Lawyer Today
When a car accident in Harrisburg happens, you only have one chance to get compensation. Before settling with insurers for less than what you are entitled to, reach out to the law office of Ira H. Weinstock, P.C. first. We can review your case, negotiate with insurers on your behalf, and will not hesitate to file a car accident lawsuit if needed. To request a consultation, call or contact our Harrisburg car accident lawyer online today.